Reciprocity Parking Permits for Temporary and Part-Time District Residents

The world of DC parking permits is complex and almost impossible to understand, even for lifetime Washington, D.C. residents. The team at United States Vehicle Registration Service is well-versed in all of the rules governing parking permits and can help you determine what parking permit you need, what you need to get that parking permit, and how to renew it once it’s time.

Is This the Right Parking Permit for You?

The DC DMV issues reciprocity parking permits to those who are permanent residents in other jurisdictions but who are granted reciprocal residency privileges in the District.

This permit is right for you if you are:

  • A full-time student attending school in the District
  • A member of Congress
  • A personal staff member of a member of Congress
  • A presidential appointee
  • A member of the United States military on active duty
  • A diplomat
  • A part-time District resident
  • A District resident with a take-home company vehicle

If you live on a street that is zoned for Residential Parking Permits, you can also obtain that permit for an additional fee. Reciprocity permits do not give you parking in restricted areas.

Your Checklist

To get a reciprocity permit, you need a great deal of specific information to prove that you are eligible. This information changes depending on why you need the permit. For example, someone attempting to get a single-year student reciprocity permit will need a statement from the Registrar’s Office, a valid out-of-state driver’s license, a valid out-of-state vehicle registration with the student’s name on it, proof of insurance with the student’s name on it, and proof of District residency.

Since the information needed varies wildly, we suggest working with your United States Vehicle Registration Service representative to determine exactly what is needed.

Don’t Forget!

  • You can only have one RPP or reciprocity permit displayed on your windshield at a time
  • If you move to a new RPP zone, change your vehicle’s tag number, or replace your windshield, you will need to get a new RPP and/or RPP sticker

Reciprocity Parking Permits Are Easy with United States Vehicle Registration Service

United States Vehicle Registration Service is built around one concept—that your time is much better spent anywhere but the Department of Motor Vehicles. We have mastered simplifying complex DMV processes and confusing instructions into a seamless process that we’ll handle from start to finish. We specialize in helping our valued customers in Washington, D.C. including Spring Valley, Van Ness, and Dupont Circle. If you need a reciprocity parking permit, just give us a call! We’d love to give you back your time.