DC Title Work and Divorce

DC Title Work for Vehicles Acquired through Divorce

A vehicle’s title is the legal designation that shows you are the rightful owner. Every vehicle title is marked with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and other important information. If you are going through a divorce and you and your former spouse have agreed that you will take possession of a vehicle, you need to transfer the title.

Who Can Acquire Titles in This Manner?

A joint owner of the vehicle can apply for a DC title certificate by showing the title with them listed as a joint owner and a divorce decree (and associated paperwork) explaining that they are the rightful owner of the vehicle. You must have legal paperwork supporting you as the rightful owner of the joint-owned car, or the DMV will not be able to take your former spouse off of the title.

Your Checklist

Below is a list of the things we’ll need from you to help complete the title process in the event that you have rightful ownership of a vehicle after a divorce. Please read this list carefully and ensure that you have each item:

  • An assignment of title or associated paperwork as part of divorce proceedings and agreements
  • A copy of your official divorce decree
  • 2 photocopies of your DC driver’s license 
  • Completed Power of Attorney form
  • Completed Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application: If you have trouble with either this or the Power of Attorney form, we can help walk you through the process
  • A signed blank check made out to the DC Treasurer that will be used to pay for your title work and additional fees

Don’t Forget!

Typically, your title will be mailed to you within 15 days of the service being completed. However, if you do not receive it after those business days, we will make a courtesy trip back to the DMV to ensure that the title has been mailed properly.

If you are only looking for the title to the vehicle and will not be operating it in the District, the vehicle will not technically need to be insured or pass inspection. However, if you want to operate the vehicle inside of the District, you will also need valid registration and inspection.

DC Title Work Is Easy with United States Vehicle Registration Service

United States Vehicle Registration Service has streamlined the process of obtaining vehicle titles through the DMV as much as possible, even in complicated situations like death or divorce. You don’t need to worry about standing in line, bringing the wrong documents with you, or dealing with all of the stress that a trip to the DMV typically involves.

United States Vehicle Registration Service is built around one concept—that your time is better spent anywhere but the Department of Motor Vehicles. We specialize in helping our valued customers in Washington, D.C. including Tenleytown, Palisades, and Van Ness. If you need title work, just give us a call! We’d love to give you back your time.