DC Title Work and IRP (International Registration Program)
The District’s International Registration Program (IRP) is used to license extremely heavy commercial vehicles (over 26,000 lbs.) that travel through at least two jurisdictions. If you have a vehicle with three or more axles, it should also be registered for the IRP. Any IRP-licensed vehicle is an apportioned vehicle. USVRS can guide you through the process of registering your business’s IRP vehicles with ease.
How Does the IRP Work?
The IRP is set up so that interstate carriers will first file an application in the place where their vehicles are based. If your vehicles are registered in the District, you should be applying for registration within the District. When you file your request for IRP, you will need to include the names of the states (or Canadian provinces) where you will be operating your vehicle. The District takes care of splitting up your registration fee and distributing it to all of those areas. Since the process varies for every IRP permit, there is no flat fee or set rate for the service.
Below is a list of the things we’ll need from you to help complete the IRP registration, title work, and other necessary filings. Please read this list carefully and ensure that you have each item:
- A completed IRP application
- Proof of DC residency or established place of business
- Original DC title
- Proof of Heavy Vehicle Use Tax paid
- DC inspection report
- Proof of DC inspection fee compliance
- 2 photocopies of your DC driver’s license
- Proof of current insurance
- Completed Power of Attorney form: If you aren’t sure what this is or have trouble understanding how to fill it out, we can walk you through the process
- A signed lease agreement if your vehicle is currently leased to a carrier. This lease must also display the USDOT and TIN of the company
- A signed blank check made out to the DC Treasurer that will be used to pay for your title work and additional fees
- IRP registration will not prevent you from paying the additional Federal Heavy Use Vehicle tax or fuel taxes
- DC conducts periodic audits of any IRP vehicles to verify their compliance
- All IRP participants are required to keep and maintain files detailing the operation of their fleet
IRP Registrations are Easy with USVRS
USVRS has streamlined the process of obtaining IRP registrations and vehicle titles through the DMV as much as possible. You don’t need to worry about standing in line, bringing the wrong documents with you, or dealing with all of the stress that a trip to the DMV typically involves.
USVRS is built around one concept—that your time is better spent anywhere but the Department of Motor Vehicles. We specialize in helping our valued customers in Washington, D.C. including Spring Valley, Van Ness, and Dupont Circle. If you need an IRP registration, just give us a call! We’d love to give you back your time.