Renewing your vehicle’s registration is easy to do. In fact, it’s probably much easier to accomplish than you think it is. All vehicles must be registered before they can hit the road. You must also pay attention to regulations relating to this process when you are a new resident of Virginia or you are currently leasing your vehicle. Here is more information to read about if you are so inclined.
Here is something to note about leased vehicles: it will not appear in your DMV driver’s record. There is also a quirk in the process stemming from a recent vehicle purchase – it could take up to a month for that purchase to appear in your record, especially if the dealer is handling the back end of the transaction for you.
Steps to Register
Now let’s look at some of the steps to register, or in some cases, re-register your vehicle in Virginia:
- You must have your car titled in Virginia.
- You must then complete an Application for Registration form.
- Then complete an emissions inspection.
- The vehicle must be certified as insured. Once that is done, you must carry proof of insurance with you in your vehicle at all times. This is commensurate with carrying your license and registration whenever you operate your vehicle.
- Applying for an original registration and transferring registrations are also options you can pursue. This is even more important if you want to transport passengers or cargo; if no intrastate operating authority has been issued for the vehicle, and you are leasing the vehicle out to someone, you must complete the For-Hire Vehicles Registration Request.
Negotiating Registration Renewal
You will receive notifications about necessary changes to your vehicle registration, such as when the initial registration is supposed to expire. You can choose to receive these notices through the conventional mail system or via email. Doing it online will help you save time. Please note that if you complete your new registration after the expiration date, then you will be assessed a $10 late fee. Other options for completing your next registration are DMV select offices and customer service centers.
Questions? The United States Vehicle Registration Services is Here to Help You!
If you still have questions regarding auto fleets or vehicle title work, get in touch with us and fill out our online form. We understand that vehicle inspections can be a tricky business, and we are helping to guide you through the process. Make sure that you leave your name, phone number, email address, and a summary of how we can best help you and your needs. Feel free to give us a call at 202-342-2558 or send us an email at email@example.com. We can help you to navigate the DMV in DC or Virginia or even the MVA in Maryland. For tips, tricks, and to see what we have been up to, make sure that you follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms.